Friday, October 23, 2009

Learn something new every day...

That saying has been true more than ever before since having Kherintgon. This past week I have learned a few new things that I wish I had thought of 4 weeks ago.

As I mentioned before, I have googled everything there is to know about a new baby. (I am probably a google-aholic.) Since she's been consistently going to bed after 1 each night, I looked up ways to change that habit. I decided to change our bedtime routine. Our new routine (compliments of my internet search) is to take a walk, weather permitting, at about 6 or 7 and have her bath time between 8 and 9 followed by a bottle and hopefully s-l-e-e-p. Another idea was to walk with the baby in a sling during the day to soothe them and get them ready for a good night's sleep. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I'm desperate to get her to go to sleep earlier before I start back to work. On Wednesday I tried all of our new tricks. During the day when she started getting fussy, I put her in the sling while I walked around tidying up the house. I no more than put her in and looked away for one second before looking back at her to find her sound asleep! Why have I not been using this thing all along?! I'm pretty sure it was the soundest sleep and best nap she's had. That evening we went for a walk using her new stroller for the first time. She loved that as well. Next came bath time which is our favorite activity of the day. That night she went to sleep at 9:00!! Not only did she go to bed hours earlier than normal, she only woke up once for a bottle and went right back to sleep! Now let's just hope that continues!

The other thing that I learned this week is probably a little selfish. I am SICK of listening to the songs that her swing and bouncy seat play, but she LOVES them. That annoying music is probably the best medicine for her crying, but it is going to drive me to drinking. :) Her swing plays lots of songs along the lines of 'Twinkle Twinkle' and 'Rock a bye Baby.' It sounds exactly like a polyphonic ring tone from 2001. It's a bit sad that it took me four weeks to come up with such a simple plan, but I finally had a solution. I downloaded (legally might I add) several soothing songs that I like, made a 'sleep' play list, and added it to my Ipod. He swing is quite fancy and has a place to plug an Ipod and play the music on it. Luckily these songs sat well with her, so now instead of sleeping to the high pitched version of 'Hush Little Baby,' she snoozes to the sweet sounds of John Mayer, Sara Bareilles, and Jason Mraz. Thank you technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment