Friday, November 6, 2009

Somethin' Bout that 2nd Quarter

So...we (meaning me, Kherington, and one very brave Uncle Aaron) were going to leave the house at 6:30 to make a second attempt at a football game. Being the new mommy that I am, I started getting ready at about 5ish. I packed a bag for her that looked like we were going on a six week hike across Antarctica, put on my blue and gold, and left to cheer the Bulldogs into the playoffs. They had to win by 7 to make it in. We got there early enough that we didn't have to fight much of a crowd to get to our seats. At this point she was asleep, and I was crossing my fingers that it remained that way for a while. It was then that I realized that the cute outfit I bought at Babies R Us today was probably not necessary since not one inch of her body would see the light of day because of all of the blankets. (One day I will learn that there aren't many events that call for a cute outfit for a newborn.) One of the other coach's wives/my friend, Katie, and her daughter sat with us. Her daughter, Kobie, is fascinated with Kherington and would give anything to get her hands on her! :) Maybe next football season, she'll be a better friend for Miss Kobie. The first quarter was uneventful with regards to us, aside from the air horn and noisemakers nearby. Eventually, the noise got the best of her, so she woke up to have a bottle. The first quarter ended 16-6...not in our favor. Kherington was a trooper for most of the 2nd quarter. With 4 minutes to go, one of the boys got hurt (he's ok now), so the game stopped. Evidently she didn't like the stall in action, so she started getting a little fussy. I wanted to at least make it through the first half, so with a little bouncing and rocking she went back to sleep. At this point, the noise and chilly air was frankly enough for me. I know it wasn't bothering her, but you can't help but wonder. I was afraid that she was getting too cold and that the noise was too much for her little ears, so we decided to hit the road. At this point in the game, it was 22-12 with Gladewater still leading. Luckily Aaron was there to do the heavy lifting and carry the carrier to the car for me. After a stop by Taco B for a little snack, we went to the casa. Kherington was pleased as punch to lay on her play mat and stretch out. After a little playtime, she had a bath, a bottle, and she crashed hard. If we had a TAKS accountability rating, but for our trip to the football game, we would probably be considered acceptable verging on recognized. For those of you who aren't teachers, that means we did ok, but there is mos def room for improvement. Maybe next time, maybe with nerve meds for me, we'll do better and be commended. :)

When the game was over, Brad called to tell me the bitter/sweet news. They won! But only by 6, and they needed to win by 7 to make the playoffs. This led to another realization about myself. I am turning into one heck of a coach's wife. In our conversation, Brad said, "Well we ended the season 5 and 5," sounding a little disappointed. I replied, "Well, they are a young team." Seriously?! Who says that? I need a break from football season before I start talking football plays with him on Sunday afternoons.

1 comment:

  1. This whole thing just cracks me up. I have said, "they're a young team" too. Really?? Thank goodness we have a break 'til July!

    ReplyDelete