Saturday, November 21, 2009

So much to say...

Disclaimer: Before you read this, if you are anything like me you may be disappointed. I like to look at pictures that go along with a story. (Maybe that's why I teach 2nd grade. The books still have more pictures than words.) There are no pictures to accompany this entry. I am pretty sure I didn't even have time to turn my camera on much less take any pictures. :)

This week has been crazy...where do I begin?!

Well, I started back to work on Wednesday, So I had to drop Kherington off at daycare. All along I had been saying that I was going to make Brad take her because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it without crying. Who was I kidding? I had to take her on her first day! Brad and I went together. I probably needed the moral support. I made it out of the daycare without any tears. Well, at least no tears streaming...they were still in my eyes. The tears came later when I got to school...thanks LeAnn and Adam. When 7:45 hit and the kids came in the room, I didn't have much time to think about it. Luckily the day went by quickly. Of all days to have meetings after school, it only makes sense that today would be the day. We had to take a test about technology on the computer after school. I had it all planned out that I was going to rush to the library, take the test FAST, and go get my doodle bug. Too bad we had to wait for everyone to get there, and then we had to wait for directions on how to do it. The directions were clearly stated on our handout, so I couldn't quite understand why I couldn't just get started. Now I know how some of my kids feel when I make them wait to get started on their work in class. "We'll get started when everyone has their name and number on their paper." I've said those words too many times, followed by step-by step directions, while a few kids stare at the ceiling thinking 'I could be done by now.' I may have to change it to, "If you understand what to do you may get started. If you would like directions..." I finally got to get started and finished in record time. I left immediately after. 'I wonder what I'm teaching tomorrow?' Guess we'll find out in the morning. When I picked Kherington up she was sleeping in her pack 'n play. The girls in her room went on and on about how cute she is and how great she did. Even if she cried and cried, they are smart girls for saying she had a great time. It's exactly what I needed to hear. I felt much better dropping her off the next morning.

I didn't think I had missed my kids or my job while I was at home, but I found out quickly that my thoughts weren't completely accurate. It had been too long since I got to read a book to 20 kiddos all crisscross applesauce in their rows. I also missed all the funny things they say. Here are a few examples from this week.

One first grader said, "Ooohhh, Mrs. Baca baby done camed out and she got skinny." Did I mention that he's my favorite now?

I saw one of my former students who is now in fourth grade. He is way too cool to acknowledge his 2nd grade teacher so he tried to walk quickly and not get trapped talking to me...not quick enough. He said, "So where you been anyway?" I replied, "I had my baby. Can you tell." "Yeah." "How can you tell?" The look on his face was priceless. You could tell he was worried that he could hurt my feelings depending on his answer. He said, "I don't know how to say it." Now I have to know what he's thinking, so I asked again. Looking at the floor, he cut his eyes to my stomach and pointed. "She ain't in there anymore." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment