Saturday, December 12, 2009

Kherington's First (and hopefully last) Teacher Workshop

I started this blog a couple of weeks ago but just finished it. This was actually on Dec. 10th. Another warning: I do a lot of 'blah, blah, blah' with no pictures, so if you're like me you may want to skip this one. Anyway, on to the story...

I got to school Thursday morning ready to give it one more try with hopes that a few more kids would catch on. I was in a pretty good mood. It was Thursday which is the next best thing right behind Friday, and we were getting to wear jeans. Right when I sat down at my desk I remembered that I had training after school from 4:30-6:30. Pre-baby, training sucked bad enough, but now I am even more anxious to leave work in the afternoon. At that same moment I remembered that Brad was driving the basketball boys to their tournament and would be working later than usual too. Who in the heck was going to keep Kherington? I called Brad for suggestions, but more so, for someone with a level head to tell me that it wasn't the end of the world. We decided that the best bet would be for Aaron, yes my little brother Aaron, to keep her if he didn't have to work. If he had to work, it was looking like it would be Kherington's first teacher workshop. Since it was before 12 noon I knew he would still be asleep, so I just txt him to see if he could do it. Unsure of when he would get off, I just decided that she could go with me.

With a plan in mind, I felt a little better, until...I realized that we have tutorials after school on Thursdays until 4:00. That would mean that I had to leave the school at 4:10ish, pick up Kherington, go home to pack a diaper bag, and make it there by 4:30. Late is not an option for me, especially when I need to be somewhere early and get a seat in the back. Luckily, Dena (another 2nd grade teacher) offered to take my tutorial kids for the last 15 minutes of tutorials, so I could start my rat race. I rushed out the door. I got home and threw together a bag with a few diapers, a bottle and a bib or two. Next, off to get Kherington. Whew...she still has on the clothes I put on her this morning, I thought to myself. She won't have to go with me looking like an orphan. Now, for the drive across town. I made it there on time, maybe even a few minutes early, only to find that our class was not in the room it is usually in. This time we would be in a packed room with no tables, only rows of chairs. No problem, we'll just sit in the back to cause as little of a distraction as possible...not an option. The only empty chairs were in the front row. Isn't that lovely. In I walk, carrying the carrier that now seems to have grown to the size of Mt. Everest. Getting to the front with the big awkward thing was a sight to see. Finally to my seat....let's get this thing started so all eyes will be off of me and this will be over with! Oh it couldn't be that simple. The presenter had to make her way over to me and ooh and goo about how cute Kherington is. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear it as much as the next person, but when you are trying to draw as little attention to yourself as possible it's not ideal. I was really hoping for a back row seat, so I could play with Kherington and it wouldn't feel as rude as it would feel on the front row. Well, here I am on the front row. It's either pay attention and maybe (I said MAYBE) learn something new to use in my classroom, but have Kherington whine because she's not getting enough attention, with Kherington and not hear a word that's said the entire time. I went for the latter. At least that way the people sitting around me could hear. The presentation started, Kherington was being an angel, and I started to feel relaxed, until I remembered that right about now every day is when Kherington 'shooeys in her panties.' (That's what we call it in our house...not sure where it came from.) Sure enough, there she goes and there I go with my first trip out of the room with yet another huge distraction. It didn't help that the presenter announced, "Isn't that the cutest baby you've ever seen?" Needless to say, that was not the last time I had to leave the room and cause another commotion. It' was a l-o-n-g two hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment